Six Months of Creative Support,
Generous Feedback on Your Writing,
Resources + Discounted Coaching
Ready to go deeper into your writing? Want a supportive space to carry your prompt writing into a more a complete creative project? Looking for a group of writing companions who will honor your voice and offer honest yet compassionate feedback? Join me and four of your fellow writers for a six-month revision workshop at Voice & Vessel's Grand Rapids studio.
The revision circles are currently full.
Want to join the waiting list?
Two revision circles are currently meeting through April 2018. These groups are an intensive and personalized journey into the craft of writing and finding your voice. Because of that, the groups are smaller (six writers), and I lead no more than two different groups at one time. If you'd like to be on the waiting for a future revision circle, please let me know.
Six monthly gatherings, from 6 to 8 pm
November 2017 through April 2018
Open to six writers who have been a part of Story Foraging
With a one-hour welcome session in early November...
you'll be able to choose from possible dates when you register!
Revision circles are part of an ongoing journey to shape, revise, and strengthen our writing. Once a month for six months, we'll gather to share drafts of our writing-in-progress, exchange supportive feedback, and practice revision as part of the creative process. Like all Voice & Vessel workshops, this will be a generative, supportive experience designed to bring out each writer's unique voice and story.
How does scheduling work? When you register, you'll choose from possible dates for a one-hour, introductory gathering in early November. This is a chance to meet your fellow writers and get more guidance on how revision circles work and what writing to share. We'll also plan our revision circle dates as a group during this introductory session, choosing from Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday evenings (6 to 8 pm) over the six months.
Due to the nature and size of this workshop, refunds are not available.
Please make sure you're ready to join us when you register.
How do revision circles work?
- Because revision circles involve deeper creative work and a special level of trust between the writers, I limit each group to just six participants (including myself). The same group meets for six months, for two hours each month.
- Each month, every writer shares a piece of draft writing two weeks before we plan to meet. Before we come together, we read each other's writing, so that when we meet, we can respond specifically and generously to what's working in the piece, what could be strengthened, and so on.
- Each writer usually gets about 15 minutes of time during the workshop devoted to their piece. They also get the printed copies (with kind, handwritten notes!) to take home. The writing always goes home with the writer, and each session is confidential.
- Between sessions, I share guidance and resources based on the needs and interests of the group. These might be recommendations of writers folks might enjoy, articles on a specific aspect of craft, and so on. Participants in revision circles also get a discounted rate ($45) on one-on-one coaching sessions.
What kind of writing is supported?
All forms and styles of writing are supported, and all voices are welcomed. The diversity of the writing is one of the best parts of the revision circle! We often learn more about our own voice and style by witnessing how a fellow writer makes creative choices in their writing.
Some writers use the revision circle as a space to dive deep into a single creative project and work on completing it. For example, you might draft, revise, and polish a short story through the revision circle. Other writers may have an idea that's tugging on them but that hasn't found its form yet. They might use the revision circle to play with poetry or try an essay. Each month is an invitation to share something new, and I'm available to help as you decide where to focus.
Who can participate?
- It helps us meet as peers and equals, as we've shared part of the creative journey together already and have a common foundation we can use to go deeper. Devoting six months of creative energy to a writing group is no small thing... it's important to me that you feel supported, safe to take risks on the page, and "in it" together.
- It helps writers have more confidence as they go into the deeper work of revision. Because of the previous workshops, you'll have some writing to keep working with, as well as tools and practices to call on as the writing finds its shape.
- It's important that you feel the Amherst Writers & Artists Method is a good fit for you before moving into this deeper work. Just like the four-week workshops, revision circles are rooted in the AWA Method. While we offer hands-on feedback to each other in the revision circles, it is balanced, compassionate, and focused on the possibilities that wait in every piece of writing.
How much does it cost?
The fee for the six-month revision circle is $200, as well as the time and energy needed to share a piece of your writing each month and read the writing of the five other writers in the group.
Can I still be a part of other workshops if I'm in a revision circle?
Absolutely! Some writers like to mix the two, so that they are generating new writing while revising or completing other pieces. Often, I'll write with the prompts in a four-week workshop to help fill in gaps, add characters, or otherwise expand pieces that I'm revising elsewhere.
Interested in revision circles?
Please let me know! A new revision circle will be forming in Fall 2017.